Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Sizes

File Sizes

Bit- The smallest unit in computing. It can have a value of 1 or 0. You'd be hard pressed to find a file size listed in bits.
    Byte - A (still small) unit of information made up of 8 bits.
    Kilobyte(KB) - A unit of approximately 1000 bytes (1024 to be exact). Most download sites use kilobytes when they give file sizes.
    Megabyte (MB) - A unit of approximately one million bytes (1,024 KB).
    Gigabyte (GB)- Approximately 1 billion bytes (1024 MB). Most hard drive sizes are listed in gigabytes.
    Application

OK, now for a little practical application.
    A 3 1/2" floppy drive holds 1.44 Megabytes (1,474 KB).
    A CD Rom holds 650 Megabytes (though most programs you get don't utilize the whole 650). This would be around 450 of those 3.5 floppies.
    A 20 Gig hard drive will hold the same amount of info as 31 CD ROMs or 14,222 of the 3.5 floppy disks.
    It takes between 7-10 minutes to download a one megabyte (1024 KB) file using the average dial up interent connection.
    A typical page of text is around 4KB.
    To see the size of a given file, just right-click it (in Explorer or My Computer) and select Properties from the resulting menu.
    I know that even with the information above, it can still be confusing, so I thought I would compare these digital units of measure to some everyday objects. Just picture them being completely hollow so you can store information in them.
    Bit - Let's call this a regular sized marble.
    Byte - Compared to the marble, this would be a baseball.
    Kilobyte - Now we jump up to a pickup truck size.
    Megabyte - Now for the leap - this would be a medium sized sky scraper.

Gigabyte - Take 1024 of the medium sized sky scrapers and stick them together for this one!

Re: File Sizes

Great and really nice info dear....be happy

Comment

Re: File Sizes

woow bohat achi info di hai aap ne ambutt bhai

thank you so much

Comment

Working...
      X