Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidelines for correspondence in your job search

Individualize:
    There are similar elements to job seach letters, but each letter should be individually tailored and targeted to the recipient. There is no such thing as an effective "form letter" in a job search. You know when you get a form letter in the mail; a prospective employer knows too. A letter that looks like it could have been randomly sent to any employer is a good candidate for the employer's "no" pile.
    Make your purpose clear:
    Don't make an employer guess why you are writing or what you are writing about. In choosing your words, think about the purpose of your letter and details of your individual circumstances. For example, if you make a telephone call to an employer prior to sending a cover letter, it makes sense for your letter to refer to the telephone call. If you must respond to an employer's letter to you, read the letter carefully to draft an appropriate response.
    Edit:
    Grammar, spelling and punctuation should be error-free; wording should be clear, concise and business-like; avoid gimmicky language and slang terms.
    Be yourself:
    Be your formal, business-like self, but express yourself in a manner that is natural to you. Avoid too much borrowing of language from sample letters and friends' letters. Excessively flowery language or using complicated words won't make you sound smarter; it will make you sound silly. Use good examples as inspiration, but don't copy.
    Record-keeping:
    Retain a copy of every letter you send, including e-mail; mark your calendar for any appropriate follow-up.
    For print (hard copy) correspondence:
    Paper:
    Use 8 1/2 by 11 inch, good quality paper; preferably the same paper as used for your resume. Particularly for your resume, make sure you choose paper which produces clean photocopies. Some papers with flecks make hazy copies.
    Print:
    Produce laser quality print; choose a proportionally spaced font, rather than an evenly spaced font. You may choose either serif type (like Times New Roman) or sans serif type (like Arial).
    Folding vs. large envelopes:
    A one-page cover letter and a one-page resume (appropriate for 98.6% of undergraduates) can be folded, but it's a nice touch to use a larger flat envelope so your letter and resume don't have to be folded. By all means, if you're sending other things the employer requested (transcripts, application forms, etc.) and/or you're a Ph.D. candidate with a four-page C.V., don't try to cram it all into a small envelope.
    Visit My Early PS Work
    You Are Welcome To Comment

Visit My Early PS Work

Comment

Re: Guidelines for correspondence in your job search

Questions to ask employers during interviews

Tips
      Always prepare questions to ask. Having no questions prepared sends the message that you have no independent thought process.
      Some of your questions may be answered during the course of the interview, before you are offered the opportunity to ask. If so, you can simply state something to the effect that you were interested in knowing about ..., but that was addressed during the interview. You could ask for additional clarification if applicable.
      Do not ask questions that are clearly answered on the employer's web site and/or in any literature provided by the employer to you in advance. This would simply reveal that you did not prepare for the interview, and you are wasting the employer's time by asking these questions.
      Never ask about salary and benefits issues until those subjects are raised by the employer.

Samples
      If you are having trouble developing questions, consider the following samples as food for thought. However, don't ask a question if you are not truly interested in the answer; it will be obvious to the employer.
      What are the company's strengths and weaknesses compared to its competition?
      How important does upper management consider the function of this department/position?
      What is the organization's plan for the next five years, and how does this department fit in?
      Could you explain your organizational structure?
      How will my leadership responsibilities and performance be measured? By whom?
      What are the day-to-day responsibilities of this job?
      Could you describe your company's management style and the type of employee who fits well with it?
      What are some of the skills and abilities necessary for someone to succeed in this job?
      What is the company's policy on providing seminars, workshops, and training so employees can keep up their skills or acquire new ones?
      What particular computer equipment and software do you use?
      What kind of work can I expect to be doing the first year?
      What percentage of routine, detailed work will I encounter?
      How much opportunity is there to see the end result of my efforts?
      Who will review my performance? How often?
      How much guidance or assistance is made available to individuals in developing career goals?
      How much opportunity will I have for decision-making in my first assignment?
      Can you describe an ideal employee?
      What is your organization's policy on transfers to other cities?
      Visit My Early PS Work

Comment

Typical interview questions:
        What are your long-range goals and objectives?
        What are your short-range goals and objectives?
        How do you plan to achieve your career goals?
        What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
        Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
        What are your strengths, weaknesses, and interests?
        How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you?
        Describe a situation in which you had to work with a difficult person (another student, co-worker, customer, supervisor, etc.). How did you handle the situation? Is there anything you would have done differently in hindsight?
        What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort? Describe a situation in which you did so.
        In what ways have your college experiences prepared you for a career?
        How do you determine or evaluate success?
        In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our organization?
        Describe a contribution you have made to a project on which you worked.
        What qualities should a successful manager possess?
        Was there an occasion when you disagreed with a supervisor's decision or company policy? Describe how you handled the situation.
        What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
        Describe your most rewarding college experience.
        What interests you about our product or service?
        Why did you select your college or university?
        What led you to choose your major or field of study?
        What college subjects did you like best? Why?
        What college subjects did you like least? Why?
        If you could do so, how would you plan your academic studies differently?
        Do you think your grades are a good indication of your academic achievement?
        What have you learned from participation in extracurricular activities?
        In what kind of work environment are you most comfortable?
        How do you work under pressure?
        Describe a situation in which you worked as part of a team. What role did you take on? What went well and what didn't?
        In what part-time, co-op, or summer jobs have you been most interested? Why?
        How would you describe the ideal job for you following graduation?
        Why did you decide to seek a position with this organization?
        What two or three things would be most important to you in your job?
        What criteria are you using to evaluate the organization for which you hope to work?
        Will you relocate? Does relocation bother you?
        Are you willing to travel?
        Are you willing to spend at least six months as a trainee?
        Visit My Early PS Work

Comment

What the interview is looking for:

Interviewer: Tell me about yourself.
          You: Remember, this is a job interview, not a psychological or personal interview. The interviewer is interested in the information about you that relates to your qualifications for employment, such as education, work experiences and extracurricular activities.

Interviewer: What do you expect to be doing five years from now? Ten years from now?
          You: The interviewer is looking for evidence of career goals and ambitions rather than minutely specific descriptions. The interviewer wants to see your thought process and the criteria that are important to you.

Interviewer: Why should I hire you?
          You: Stress what you have to offer the employer, not how nice it would be to work there or what you want from the employer.

Interviewer: What are your ideas about salary?
          You: Research salaries in your field before your interviews so that you know the current salary range for the type of position you are seeking.

What the interviewer is looking for

Interviewer: Why do you want to work for our company/organization?
          You: Not having an answer is a good way to get crossed off the candidate list, and is a common pet peeve of interviewers. Research the employer before your interview; attempt to find out about the organization's products, locations, clients, philosophy, goals, previous growth record and growth plans, how they value employees and customers, etc.
          Visit My Early PS Work

Comment

nice sharing

Comment

hmmm nice info ..... im also related with this field....
              When you are in light, everything will follow you..... But when you enter dark, even your own shadow will not follow you. That is Life!

Comment

Working...
              X