Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An introduction to BIOS beep codes

An introduction to BIOS beep codes

When you power on your computer, the motherboard's basic input/output system (BIOS) first detects the computer's internal hardware configuration and then performs the power-on self-test (POST). The POST executes several diagnostic tests that check the basic functionality of the power supply, motherboard, CPU, I/O Bus Controller, RAM, keyboard, and video components. If the computer passes the POST, it will usually return a single short beep or two short beeps, depending on the BIOS manufacturer. If the POST detects any problems, it will halt the boot process and return an error message either visually on the screen and/or audibly through a series of beeps.

Unfortunately, there is no official standard for beep codes. Depending on the BIOS manufacturer, a keyboard controller failure could be three, four, five, or six beeps. While this document lists common BIOS manufacturer beep codes, you should always consult your motherboard's documentation, the manufacturer's Web site, and the BIOS manufacturer's Web site for a definitive beep code list for your particular BIOS. The information contained in the following lists was gathered from various BIOS manufacturers' Web sites.

AMI BIOS beep codes
    http://www.ami.com/support/bios.htmlhttp://www.phoenix.com/pcuser/awardbios/award_error_codes.html

Number of beeps Problem description Troubleshooting recommendation
    1 long & 2 short Video error Check the video card.
    Any other beeps RAM problem Reseat the RAM or replace with known good chips.

PhoenixBIOS beep codes
    http://www.phoenix.com/pcuser/PDF-Files/bios-postcode.pdf

Unfortunately, PhoenixBIOS beep codes are significantly more complicated than other BIOS manufacturers. Instead of a single beep code set, PhoenixBIOS codes consist of a series of beep code sets separated by a short pause. Older Phoenix BIOS Plus and PhoenixBIOS 1.x systems used a series of three sets, while the new PhoenixBIOS 4.x systems use a series of four sets. The codes listed below are only some of the more than 100 codes for the newer PhoenixBIOS 4.x. For a complete list of Phoenix BIOS POST task routines and beep codes, please visit their Web site or review your motherboard's documentation.
    Number of beeps POST routine description/problem Troubleshooting recommendation
    1 One short beep before boot Normal operation
    1-1-1-3 Verify real mode A problem exists with the CPU and/or motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-2-1 Get CPU type A problem exists with the CPU and/or motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-2-3 Initialize system hardware A problem exists with the motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-3-1 Initialize chipset with initial POST values A problem exists with the motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-3-2 Set IN POST flag A problem exists with the motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-3-3 Initialize CPU registers A problem exists with the CPU and/or motherboard. Check and replace if necessary.
    1-1-4-3 Initialize I/O component A problem exists with the I/O port hardware or a device connected to an I/O port. It could also be an expansion device in the PC or the motherboard.
    1-2-2-1 Initialize keyboard controller An error has occurred with the keyboard or keyboard controller. Try a new keyboard or replace the keyboard controller on the motherboard.

1-2-2-3 BIOS ROM checksum Replace either the BIOS ROM chip or the motherboard.
    1-2-3-3 8237 DMA controller initialization Check the motherboard and any expansion cards that use DMA.
    1-3-1-1 Test DRAM refresh Check the first bank of memory and the motherboard.
    1-3-1-3 Test 8742 keyboard controller An error has occurred with the keyboard or keyboard controller. Try a new keyboard or replace the keyboard controller on the motherboard.
    1-3-4-1 RAM failure on line xxxx Check the first bank of memory and the motherboard.
    1-3-4-3 RAM failure on data bits xxxx of low byte memory bus Check the first bank of memory and the motherboard.
    2-1-3-1 Check video configuration against CMOS Check the video card or video card memory.
    2-1-3-2 Initialize PCI bus and devices A problem exists with the I/O port hardware or a device connected to an I/O port. It could also be an expansion device in the PC or the motherboard.
    2-2-1-3 Test keyboard An error has occurred with the keyboard or keyboard controller. Try a new keyboard or replace the keyboard controller on the motherboard.
    2-2-3-1 Test for unexpected interrupts Check for a faulty motherboard or expansion card.
    3-1-2-1 Detect and install external parallel ports A problem exists with the I/O port hardware or a device connected to an I/O port. It could also be an expansion device in the PC or the motherboard.
    3-1-4-1 Initialize floppy controller Check your hard drive(s), floppy drive(s), and motherboard.
    3-2-1-1 Initialize hard-disk controllers Check your hard drive(s), floppy drive(s), and motherboard.
    3-2-1-2 Initialize local-bus hard-disk controllers Check your hard drive(s), floppy drive(s), and motherboard.
    3-3-1-1 Set time of day Check the motherboard's real-time clock (RTC).
    4-2-4-3 Keyboard controller failure An error has occurred with the keyboard or keyboard controller. Try a new keyboard or replace the keyboard controller on the motherboard.
    ya Allah sab ko apney hifz-o-amaan main rakh
Working...
X