X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version of Old Hoax

Version of Old Hoax
    By Aejaz-ul-Kabeer

It's an ancient "profession"; I mean phishing. The act of tricking someone into giving them confidential information or tricking them into doing something that they normally wouldn't or shouldn't do, is called as phishing. For example: sending an e-mail to a user falsely claiming to be a legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft.

Now, let me come to the point. Nowadays, a mail is widespread on the Net, that's really intimidating. The mail says: If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that, he or she is a company's engineer, that pretends to check the functionality of your mobile line, and further tells you to press # 90 or #09 or any other number; NEVER ANSWER THE CALL. End this call immediately without following any instructions. Instead, jot down the callers number and report to the concerned connection provider of such fraudulent person. The mail further asks you to be cautious as a counterfeit company is 'in action' and is using a gadget that once you press #90 or #09, can access your SIM, and then the 'gateway to making calls at your expense' is wide open. It could prove to be a nightmare for postpaid connection holders.

Second part of the mail says: If you receive a phone call, and your mobile phone displays (XALAN) on the screen don't answer the call at any cost; end it immediately. If you answer the call, your phone will be infected by a virus. This virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone. IMEI stands for International Mobile Station Equipment Identity. It's an identification number assigned to GSM mobile stations that uniquely identifies each set. It is a 15-digit serial number that contains a type of approval code, final assembly code and serial number.

IMSI is another acronym that corresponds to International Mobile Subscriber Identity - A number uniquely identifying a GSM subscriber. The number contains two parts: the first identifies the GSM network operator with whom the subscriber has an account. The second part of the number is allocated by the network operator to identify uniquely the subscriber. In addition, answering such a call your SIM card will also be ruined that will resultantly make your phone unable to connect to your telephone network. This threat is more serious as in this case you will have to buy a new phone. It's being stated that the information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia. Check the news on CNN's website.

CONCLUSION: I assume that the mail is just a hoax. I have visited CNN's website, and could not find a trace of its being true. Instead many similar hoaxes were revealed that more or less narrate analogous stories. Another version of this hoax narrates: If you receive a phone call and your mobiles phone displays ACE-? on the screen DON'T ANSWER THIS CALL - END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY. IF YOU ANSWER THE CALL, YOUR PHONE WILL BE INFECTED BY THIS VIRUS. The virus will erase all IMEI and IMSI information from both your phone and your SIM card, which will make your phone unable to connect with the telephone network. You will have to buy a new phone. This information has been confirmed by both Motorola and Nokia. There are over 3 million mobile phones being infected by this virus in USA. You can also check this news on CNN's website?

There are other colourful versions of the same; they also claim that the statements are undoubted and 'the truth' has been confirmed by Motorola and Nokia.

To me the 'undoubted' is doubtful, and is nothing more than new version of the same old hoax. So, keep it up; don't panic.

-----
Working...
X