Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney International wrap: Bouchard, Kuznetsova, Lopez in action on day one

Sydney International wrap: Bouchard, Kuznetsova, Lopez in action on day one

EUGENIE Bouchard made the most of her wild-card entry to the Sydney international, beating Zhang Shuai of China 7-6 (1), 6-2 on Sunday in a primary-spherical healthy.
    Bouchard, a 22-year-old former Wimbledon finalist, was beaten in the first round of the Brisbane worldwide remaining week in her first warmup match for the Australian Open, which starts offevolved on Jan. sixteen and where she was a surprise semifinalist in 2014.
    The Canadian went on to make the semis at the French Open that year before dropping to Petra Kvitova inside the Wimbledon final. Bouchard completed that 12 months ranked 7th, but accidents and terrible form on the grounds that have visible her rating slide to forty six.

defending CHAMP CRUISES via
    two-time Grand Slam singles champion Svetlana Kuznetsova defeated Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania 6-1, 6-4 on Sunday inside the first spherical of the Sydney global tennis event.
    protecting champion Kuznetsova broke the Romanian’s serve inside the 9th recreation of the second set, then held serve to strengthen to the second one round of the ATP-WTA match.
    The Sydney international is considered one of numerous Australian Open series warmup activities beforehand of the first Grand Slam of the yr beginning in Melbourne on Jan. sixteen.

PLISKOVA WITHDRAWS
    international quantity six Karolina Pliskova has withdrawn from the Sydney international with a left thigh damage, tournament organisers said on Sunday.
    The Czech, who became the fourth seed for the Sydney occasion, demolished France’s Alize Cornet 6-zero, 6-3 to win the Brisbane global on Saturday.
    As her withdrawal came earlier than the start of the first healthy, Italian Roberta Vinci as the next eligible seed took Pliskova’s open spot and a qualifier/fortunate loser would come into the draw, organisers stated.
    Pliskova is ready to leapfrog Dominika Cibulkova to grow to be world range five when the new ratings are released on Monday.
    Pliskova is one of the favourites for the Australian Open, which starts in Melbourne subsequent week. She became runner-as much as world primary Angelique Kerber at final year’s US Open.

every other ONE DOWN AS SVITOLINA WITHDRAWS
    international No.14 Elina Svitolina has emerge as the second high-profile girl to withdraw from the Sydney international simply hours into the outlet day of the tournament. The sixth seed cited a viral illness for her selection to drag out of the Australian Open heat-up.
    “I’ve had steady headaches for the closing days and regrettably in today’s warm weather it were given even worse whilst i was warming up and my frame wasn’t geared up to compete,” Svitolina said.
    “i really like playing in Sydney, it’s considered one of my favored stops at some stage in the season. with a bit of luck i can come back next year and play in front of the top notch fanatics right here.”
    Never stop learning
    because life never stop Teaching
Working...
X